Thursday, December 1, 2011

Where to find the perfect gift for the foodies in your life...and Ian Schrager's new Pump Room

Hello, all! It's kind of a slow day here today. Just caught up on some work, ran a few errands, and surfed the Internet for something inspirational to write about. I could rant about the shortcomings and inadequacies of Chicago's public school system--at least in terms of its hiring process and the quality of some of its administrators--but I think I'll save that for another day.

Instead I want to direct your attention to a beautiful website I discovered this afternoon for a store called the Heirloom Book Company in Charleston, SC. I have known one of its owners, Brad Norton, for over a decade and one of the things that has always remained consistent with him is his love for all things having to do with food and books about food. Simply put, the Heirloom Book Company (at least as far as their website) is a foodie's dream come true. 

According to the website--which is very simple, easy to navigate, and (I know this might sound weird) strangely soothing, the Heirloom  Book Company sells all manner of new and vintage cookbooks, prints, and the occasional kitchen gadget. Given its location and the fact that Brad is a true Southern gentleman, it does not stint on its collection of Southern cookbooks and writings about Southern cuisine. If you happen to be in the Charleston area or are looking for the perfect holiday gift for the culinarian or culinary aspirant in your circle of family, friends, and acquaintances, you can't do much better than this site: 
http://www.heirloombookcompany.com. And be sure to check out and "like" its Facebook page! It seems, Brad, you are living your dream...or at least one of them. Good onya!

As for me, this evening I'm heading over to the new and much-talked-about Pump Room in Ian Schrager's brand-new Public hotel for drinks with another old friend, Leslie, and her fiance Shannon. From what Leslie's told me, it seems the new Pump Room is a glitzy slice of New York glamour in the heart of Chicago's Gold Coast neighborhood. The old Pump Room was, for decades, a Chicago institution until its rather ignominous closing last January. I can't wait to see what the new Pump Room has to offer! I'm sure plenty of fodder for tomorrow's post...

Ciao.

QUESTION OF THE DAY: "Where do you go to hobnob with the beautiful people?" But wait...aren't we all beautiful in our individual ways? (I know that sounds cheesy but I couldn't resist!)

No comments:

Post a Comment