Monday, December 5, 2011

My Week with Marilyn

Hello everyone! Hope you've all had a good Monday.

I'm writing this having just seen the new film "My Week with Marilyn" at the Century Center. I'd been wanting to see it based on the ads, the fact that I think Michelle Williams is one of the most talented actresses of her generation, and for the pleasure of seeing an ensemble of brilliant British actors doing what they do best. I'm pleased to report that I wasn't disappointed. Kenneth Branagh gives a nuanced performance as Sir Laurence Olivier. Dame Judi Dench pops in and out every so often as Sybil Thorndike, stealing every scene she's in by the mere fact that she's Dame Judi Dench. Zoe Wanamaker has some good moments as Marilyn's American--and somewhat meddlesome--acting coach. The cast is a virtual who's who of great British actors, both old and young. There's Dominic Cooper playing Marilyn's manager...oh, and look, there's Emma Watson (late of Harry Potter) playing a winsome costume girl who falls for Colin, the narrator, nicely played by likable newcomer Edward Redmayne.

While much has been said of Michelle Williams' portrayal of Marilyn--almost all of it praising--I found myself a bit underwhelmed by her. She certainly looks and sounds the part, but despite the scenes of tortured insecurity, sleeplessness, giddy posturing, and pill-popping, I didn't find anything particularly special in Ms. Williams' performance. There was nothing particularly wrong with it either, just given all the hype, I was expecting--I don't know--something more. It's a game impersonation that doesn't really break new ground. If you're looking for fresh insights into Marilyn Monroe's life or her character, you're not going to find them here.

What you are going to find is an engaging, fairly lightweight two-hours' entertainment that is certainly worth the price of admission. It beautifully succeeds on this level and should pick up some awards nods if for nothing more than costume design and cinematography. It isn't Michelle Williams' best performance but, as with everything Ms. Williams does, it is eminently watchable.

And boy...I'd pay ten bucks or more to hear Kenneth Branagh recite Shakespeare anytime!

Ciao.

QUESTION OF THE DAY: "What is it about Marilyn Monroe that continues to hold us in her thrall?"

No comments:

Post a Comment