Saturday, January 12, 2013

Children of Privilege

Hi everyone!

I want to take a few minutes this morning to alert all of you to a new campaign I've launched. Some of you may know that I'm in the process of raising funds to mount a production of my new play "Children of Privilege" here in Chicago this summer. This project is a labor of love for me and I can't thank my terrific cast enough for their continued support and enthusiasm as they go on this journey with me to achieve one of my lifelong dreams.

"Children of Privilege" is a two-act drama that tells the story of the wealthy Tolliver family. After a five year estrangement, the two surviving adult children of Constance and Henry Tolliver return with their respective significant others to the family home in the Hamptons to pose for a family photograph that will be featured alongside an article about the family in the local society rag. The children, Max and Jennifer, are both in their early-to-mid-thirties and are haunted by a tragedy that killed their other sibling, Declan--Max's identical twin--and Phoebe, Declan's pregnant fiancee, five years' previous. Max is a struggling writer with anger management issues and Jennifer is a self-proclaimed "Life-Caster" who uses social media to give herself a sense of personal validation. Both are desperate to cling onto something that gives them relevance in a world that is rapidly crumbling around them.

Their parents, Constance and Henry, have problems of their own. Constance is haunted by the notion that the illegitimate son of her husband--born from an affair--will one day invade the family compound and lay claim to the family's considerable fortune. She is desperate to preserve the family's public image and will do just about anything to ensure her family's continued social prominence, at the expense of her children (and what little remains of her marriage) if need be.

The creative process has truly been organic. My cast originally came together last August and through a series of private readings and at least three revisions, we are now in a position to take the next step: hiring a director to stage a workshop of the play for an audience this spring. This is Phase One of a two phase initiative. Phase Two will hopefully result in a full production at a small theatre here in Chicago this summer.

To learn more about this project and to donate if you so desire, please check out its page on Pub Slush, the popular crowd-sourcing site for writers and other creative types. I've pasted the link below. The campaign launched yesterday and will run for the next 30 days. On the page, you will also find an excerpt from the play as well as an introductory video message from me and additional information about the play itself, my artistic influences, and my overall goal.

I appreciate your support and I'll keep you all updated as things progress.

http://pubslush.com/books/id/163

Ciao.

No comments:

Post a Comment